Red, Red Wine Makes Me Feel So Fine

Hello, my name is Stephanie and I will be your sommelier tonight . . .  It's hilarious to me when I go to dinner with girlfriends, they look to me to pick the wine. My husband (CLH) does too but only because he knows how I controlling I am. If it's not the correct vintage, doesn't have that bold body or wonderful bouquet and the perfect balance of oak with a burst of cherries, then he knows he'll get blamed because he picked it out. I am also so full of #%$*&. I don't even know what any of what I just wrote means - except for the part where CLH will get the blame. Really, I'm pretty much a ABC (anything-but-chardonnay) person but I know what I like and I just have good luck picking it out. Yeah, I've chosen some reds that weren't too great but hey, "red, red wine makes me feel so fine," so down the hatch it went!

If I was a betting girl (and I am, double-or-nothing, remember?), I would ventured to guess that most of you are just as clueless as me when it comes to wine and winespeak. Unlike my mother, I do know you shouldn't keep your reds in the fridge and although corked, they do go bad after a few days. Invest in a VacuVin and CLH swears by the aerator (I think that's just one unnecessary step to getting to the good stuff. It does make a difference though.) As you see, I like wine. What do I do with all my corks? Check it out here. This is my wine set-up:


As a special treat, I thought I would begin sharing a list of some of my favorites. This may become a once in a while feature because usually once it has been drank and the bottle is in the recycling bin, I forget the name so I will have to add as I drink. Here are a few to get you started:

Merlot
  • Beringer Founder's Estate - you can never go wrong with this one (Stone Cellars by Beringer is good too yet less expensive
  • Clos du Bois
  • Francis Ford Coppola
  • Radius
  • Running with Scissors
  • Middle Sister
  • Estancia
  • Red Truck
  • Stag's Leap
Pinot Noir
Contrary to what it may seem in my posts, and sometimes to him, I do care if C is happy. Even though, pinot isn't my favorite, I consume (buy and drink) it. I have found some I like.
  • David Bruce
  • Cambria
I know there is more. I'll share when I remember.

Cabernet Sauvignon
Although I like cabernet, C tends not to so I don't get it much. When I get a good one, I'll share.

Zinfandel
One of my two favorites. I hate when I'm dining out at a casual place and this happens: Me: Do you have any zinfandel? Waitress: Only the house. Me: OK. I'll have that. Then out comes a pink, sweet liquid in a glass dripping with condensation.
  • Seven Deadly Zins - I always have this in the house.
  • Segeshio
  • Rosenblum - There's lots of different vintages of this one. Of course, the more expensive the better.
  • Yellow Tail
  • Francis Ford Coppola
Blends and Other
Another one of my favorites. Oh, there is so many more than this list. I'll add as I drink.
  • Parducci Petite Sirah
  • Writer's Block Grenache
  • Yellow Tail - Every one of their red blends is good but especially the ones with the hot pink and purple accents on the label.
  • The Kitchen Sink
  • Red Truck
  • Red - This comes in a little jug. It is so delicious.
  • Francis Ford Coppola Claret
  • Columbia Crest Merlot-Cabernet
  • Greg Norman Cabernet Merlot
Whites
The lonely little group.
  • Conundrum - See my love for it here.
  • The Kitchen Sink
I would love to hear about your favorites! Click on comments below to share.








Comments

  1. Love reading your blog!!!! We've got to convert C to a cabernet drinker...it's my favorite. Here are a few of my #1 selections:
    Chimney Rock
    Nickel and Nickel
    Rubicon
    Smoking Loon
    My second choice is Malbec.
    Look forward to reading your next post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle. Now that you reminded me, I remember the yummy Nickel and Nickel we drank at the beach house. And I know I've had Smoking Loon but it could have been a merlot. I'll have to try the other ones. We just drank the one in the jug, Red, last night and it was sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the wet bar area, Stephanie! I love this article not only because I LOVE my wine, but because I have so many new wines to try and looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing your blog w/me. Enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts