Rocky Mountain High

Look at the view outside our loft. I totally get that John Denver song. But I have to tell you, these mountains are getting me a different kind of high. I feel like I'm coming down from a bad trip - at least this is what I think that would feel like. I've got altitude sickness and I've got it bad. Headache, insomnia, nausea, shortness of breath, fatigue. All the boys are on the slopes but I stayed back. Actually I hadn't planned on strapping those tortuous contraptions on my feet this whole trip but I did want to explore the town on foot.

After I dropped my men at the ski lift, I made my way back to a long, hot shower. Wow, what a difference. I leisurely got ready, bundled up, tromped down the stairs and one block to the town center. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. The Tylenol that had kicked in an hour ago had already worn off. I can't breathe. My heart is beating so fast. I better stop to rest in the cookie store that I'm next to. Mmmmm - I can have this chocolate chip cookie with chocolate icing later when I'm feeling better. Next rest stop - the Mexican restaurant. Man, it gets hot quick once inside. I peeled off my gloves, my ski jacket and finally, my cute little hat. As I slid into the booth, the only other couple in the restaurant, in the booth across from mine, gave me a great big smile. Breckenridgers are so nice. I ordered tortilla soup minus the tortillas (hey, my carbs are coming from that cookie later!) And I got a big glass of . . . WATER. Everybody's been telling me to drink lots of water. I headed back, uphill and prepared myself to climb the three flights stairs. Maybe I'll feel better after a nap. Back inside, I peeled my outers once again and grabbed a quick peek in the mirror to see if I looked as green as I felt. Perfectly rosy cheeks but . . . my bangs were doing some weird curlique back flip. Hence, the faux nice Breckenridgers smile.

Since I'm bitching . . . another thing that I completely forgot about when traveling to places not-at-sea-level, beware when opening containers, tubes and the like that have liquids (semi or otherwise) in them. Right before we left Florida, I broke down and bought a nice foundation primer. Don't poo-poo it - it really works. Now 1/3 of it is covering the rest of my toiletries and cosmetic bag. Oh, what fun.

Tomorrow is another day and I'm telling myself it's going to be fantastic. For now, that cookie will be my consolation.

Comments

Popular Posts